[Gllug] New home linux system

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.com
Tue Jan 25 10:22:16 UTC 2005

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:31:45 +0000
Jack Bertram <jack at jbertram.net> wrote:

> If (as referred in separate post) I replace my main home system, a
> 433Mhz Celeron running a 440BX mainboard with TNT2 graphics, then are
> there any programs on Linux that really use 3D cards?  Or am I better
> off getting a good 2D graphics card?  I'd like to be able to drive two
> monitors (LCDs, probably) and easily plug into a TV as well.

Buy a cheap nVidia card with TV-out. Hmmm, having said that if you want two
monitors and TV out it's going to be a slightly expensive nVidia card. The
binary drivers handle TV out pretty well I'm told. I know from experience
that the nVidia drivers handle dual monitor setups extremly well. Dual 24"
widescreen monitors are lovely.

#include <non-free-driver-disclaimer.h>

> On a related note, is anyone on GLLUG doing their own TiVO-esque Linux
> stuff.  (I remember reading about this recently on AnandTech - MythTV
> seems to be the thing of choice).  How well does it work in the UK?

There are several very good guides on the web. The box I'm building at the
moment is going slowly because I'm trying to get two newly released DVB cards
to work properly - kernel patch city. If you are doing normal terrestrial
analogue you can just install fedora and use apt or yum to grap all the
packages you need from Atrpms.

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk