[Gllug] Getting exim to recognise domains in /etc/aliases

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Jan 5 10:05:31 UTC 2005

How do I get exim to recognise domain names in /etc/aliases?  This
used to work on an older Debian install, but I've just installed
Debian again and it now seems to have stopped working.

My /etc/aliases contains:

[...]
David.Jones@@soundcare.co.uk:    david@@dmjohs.force9.co.uk

but when I send mail to this domain I get:

  David.Jones@@SoundCare.co.uk
    unknown local-part "david.jones" in domain "soundcare.co.uk"

[Note: I have doubled the @ signs to avoid spammers picking up the
email addresses when this page is archived - they're not doubled in
the original]

/etc/exim/exim.conf contains a system_aliases which is unchanged from
the Debian install:

qualify_domain = annexia.org

local_domains = localhost:[...domains omitted...]:soundcare.co.uk:[...]

[...]

system_aliases:
  driver = aliasfile
  file_transport = address_file