[Gllug] growisofs with -use-the-force-luke option

Harry Mantheakis harry at mantheakis.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jan 26 09:17:44 UTC 2005

Hello Jan

Thanks so much for your very instructive reply.

As it happens, last night I did track down the source code - manually, so to
speak - and I found that exact same piece of 'undocumented' documentation.

I had not used 'apt' before, so your instructions were welcome.

> Excuses and more excuses. Is that the best you can do? ;P

Like so many things in life, it's easy when you know how :-)

> Check your pulse and feelings. You should be upset by now ;)

Actually I'm pleased about having learned a bit more (thanks to Bruce's
prompting, and your notes) including the fact that I can (and should) try to
'grep' for myself in such situations.

I'm also please that there are people like you who take the trouble to
reply.

I've actually taught myself quite a lot about Linux over the past year or so
- with the help of my friend Google.

It's painful, though, and you have to be obsessive sometimes - and goodness
knows what sort of holes there are in my knowledge.

Sometimes you just want to shout out and ask, because you're stuck on Mars
doing something else, and right at that moment you don't want to have to go
back to Earth and dig yet another hole in ground :-)

For the record - and this may be common knowledge for all I know - I can now
use this command in a daily cron script to backup a simple 'tar' file (which
is itself a package of backup dumps from my database and subversion) onto
DVD:

growisofs -use-the-force-luke -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd -r -J myBackupFile

Thanks again for the replies!

Harry Mantheakis

If you go flying back through time, and you see somebody else flying
forward into the future, it's probably best to avoid eye contact.

- Jack Handey (Deep Thoughts)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk