[Gllug] Anyone know anything about hardware ?

Wiehe, Simon simon.wiehe at csfb.com
Mon Jan 24 16:32:41 UTC 2005

I have a faulty hard disk and investigations show that it is a manufacturing fault with a chip on the controller board and there is nothing wrong with the platters or data. I have got a quote of £400+vat to recover the data, they also state that under no circumstances should I attempt to replace the controller board as this store drive characteristics and will cause a drive failure and lose my data.

Anyone got any ideas how I can get this data off the disk? Currently the disk is not recognised by the BIOS, although I have not tried it in a second machine to see if it is recognised in there.

Thanks

Simon

This message is for the sole use of the intended recipient. If you received this message in error please delete it and notify us. If this message was misdirected, CSFB does not waive any confidentiality or privilege. CSFB retains and monitors electronic communications sent through its network. Instructions transmitted over this system are not binding on CSFB until they are confirmed by us. Message transmission is not guaranteed to be secure.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk