[Gllug] Anybody with experience of Bacula

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 24 16:39:02 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 16:20 +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 03:43:05PM +0000, Mike wrote:
>
> I like XFS but we've been encountering reasons to be wary of it.  Latest
> issue was stack corruption under kernels with 4K stacks.  Our experience
> has been that combining XFS with either of LVM or MD can be a bit risky
> and all three together, especially under 2.6, raises the risk level
> significantly.
>
> AIUI, much of the development on LVM and MD is done at Red Hat, where
> they only use ext2/3.  Other filesystem drivers have to play catchup and
> XFS on Linux possibly isn't as quick at this game.

I've used it in conjunction with MD and 2.6 and had no problems, but
I've not thrown LVM into the mix. Servers I run it on at work run 2.4
and use hardware RAID, so as far as the OS is concerned there's nothing
between the filesystem and the disk. Online array resizing in hardware
and XFS tools mean that I haven't felt the need for LVM yet. I do think
it's pretty shortsighted to develop those technologies exclusively on
ext2/3 though - there are many reasons to prefer XFS or JFS for servers.
Additionally, I always use stock kernels, not vendor provided ones.
Vendor applied patches have been the cause of more grief than they've
solved in the past.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk