[Gllug] Linux for re-imaging Windows disks

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Sun Jan 30 16:51:15 UTC 2005

Bernard Peek enquired about 'reimaging XP discs' with linux.

It should be fairly trivial to 'dd' a raw disc image from a linux file to
a hard disc (and vice-versa); although this would entail probably writing an
awful lot of unused disc blocks.

With linux and unix partitions you can write an entire partition image to
another partition of the same size and the new partition will work. I assume
therefore that all sector references are relative to the partition start-point.
No idea whether this true for windows file-systems; if it is you should be
able to re-image the partition(s) instead of the entire disc.

If you write the entire raw hard-disc from an image file I would imagine that
the disc will have to have the same geometry as the disc from which the image
was written in the first place.

If linux recognises the filesystem type being used on XP it might be possible
to 'cpio' the file-system back and forth?

Not much help, I'm afraid, but may give you food for thought!

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk