[Gllug] Geographcial server failover

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Tue Jan 25 12:46:18 UTC 2005

Tethys wrote:
> Darren Beale writes:
>
>>Any sort of scripting or round robin DNS does not sound like it'll cut
>>it, there is going to be some lost data that way.
>
> Yep. But who cares? The costs of that level of availability are very
> high. As you approach 100% uptime, the costs rise exponentially. Very
> few businesses genuinely need the availability so badly that they're
> prepared to pay what it costs. Most will decide they can live with a
> small level of outage when shown the prices for preventing that outage.

Just echoing Tet really - everyone thinks they need 100% uptime till
they see the price :)

In real life, very few places need that sort of availability.

I'm also generally of the opinion that the massive additional complexity
of systems that provide for multi-master geographically distributed
transaction systems causes more downtime than it solves.

doug.

--
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC 609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
http://adju.st/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk