OT: PC World are useless - was Re: [Gllug] OT: microdirect.co.uk reliable?

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Fri Jan 14 00:31:56 UTC 2005

Darren Beale writes:

>It must be really difficult to recruit people that
>a) know the product
>b) can deal with the muppety public

That's just a symptom of an underlying problem with society today, namely
that technology is advancing at a rate faster than the average man on the
street can understand it. It's hard enough to find someone skilled enough
to be able to comprehend a single computer product in enough depth to do
a good job of selling it to the public. Let alone someone that knows about
the whole range of PC World stock, and is willing to work for the money
that a sales assistant earns. That's the reason why *all* computer shops
are staffed by morons. Some are worse than others. But none can do a good
job of advising the public -- the best they can do is recite the marketing
line they've been fed, which is exactly what they do. Thus leading to
exchanges like the following:

Me:            I'm looking for a PostScript printer. Do you have any?
Salescritter:  We've got this windows printer on special offer. It does
               $UNFEASIBLY_HUGE dpi, $LOTS of pages per minute, and works
               fine with recent versions of Windows.
Me:            No. It's not a real printer, you're quoting interpolated
               resolution rather than true resolution, and you've ignored
               my primary requirement that it support PostScript.
Salescritter:  Oh. What's PostScript? Is that a word processor?

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk