[Gllug] Modem information requested.

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 22 09:36:06 UTC 2005

On Sat 22 Jan, Sharon Kimble wrote:

> I'm getting modem connection problems again to my ISP on an ADSL line. Last
> evening they admitted that they were having problems on their status page,
> but the modem also seems to have quit at some stage during then night.

   Is your modem now sited close to the incoming BT Master connection,
connected to the line through a BT-style replacement front panel for the
master box? This is by far the best method because the line is correctly
terminated by a very efficient balanced filter network which will not
physically fit in many of the "ADSL Filters" sold at only slightly less
cost. I have only found them on sale mail order from Solwise Ltd in Hull.
   Another possible cause of problems is the BT pair itself, especially if
it contains aluminium wire, when the only cure is to get it replaced.

http://www.solwise.co.uk

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk