[Gllug] BBC Open Source

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Sat Jul 16 13:11:38 UTC 2005

On Saturday, 16 Jul 2005, Robert Newson wrote:
>James McGuigan wrote:
>>1. The money goes directly to the BBC and not into a central pot - more
>>taxes should be like this, it means the logic behind the tax and the
>>benefits derived from it are directly linked. The government can't
>>simply double the tax because its trying to save up for its next war
>>with Iran.
>Agreed: Road Tax should go on Roads, Fuel Tax should go on Fuel/Transport

And the tax on beer should go to build breweries, I suppose?

The trouble with this idea, which ought to be evident to anyone with
half a brain, is that a lot of government activities don't have any
convenient place to attach a hypothecated tax; and in many cases it
makes perfect sense to permit the Government to reshuffle funding to
represent changes in requirements.

Today is Stilday, Presuary - a weekend.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk