[Gllug] BBC Open Source: OT

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jul 18 07:04:09 UTC 2005

On Sunday 17 Jul 2005 16:15, Bernard Peek wrote:

> There's also the hidden advantage behind the BBC's R&D expenditure. The
> money spent on research in the UK trains engineers who go on to work in
> other British companies.

Not any more, alas.  BBC Engineering Training was of superb quality and did
produce some fine engineers (I was one of their trainees!).   Successive
regimes withing the BBC (starting with Checkland) hacked away at the
engineering departments until there was nothing left, and virtually all
engineering functions were outsourced.

The great BBC has largely gone now, and won't recover.  Programme makers still
do their best, but overall quality of output has plummetted over the last few
years as cost has become the prime determining factor in everything the
Corporation does.

There used to be some truly amazing engineering innovations from the BBC, but
there have been NONE in the last few years - everything has come from the
"private sector".

It's really sad.  It's just another of the great British institutions
destroyed by stupid politicians for short-term gain.

Chris
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk