[Gllug] New UK push for EU data retention regulations

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Mon Jul 11 17:37:26 UTC 2005

Jason Clifford wrote:
> The reqeust for your logs has to come to you from the police. Your ISP is
> not empowered to demand them from you although they can inform the police
> that you handle your own email so they have no logs for you and the police
> can then visit you separately.

They didn't request the logs, merely that I hang onto them.  I'd laugh
in the face of an ISP that demanded my email logs - apart from anything
else, any individual communication of any kind from an ISP would be
pretty shocking - normally you have to beat them round the head before
they'll speak to you :).

> If you are running a mailserver and providing electronic communications
> services to others you must keep the logs showing sender and destination
> details along with dates etc. That's a requirement of either RIP or RIPA
> and failure to do so can result in prosecution.

How long do you need to keep them for?  I, like most people I guess,
only keep mine for long enough to diagnose problems, so if they want
something from months ago they'll be SOL.

doug.

--
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC 609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
http://adju.st/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk