[Gllug] London explosions

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 10 11:22:03 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-09 at 03:46 +0100, Mark Williams wrote:

> The programme showed a screenshot of a GLLUG posting asking for help
> with the IPCHAINS rules filtering packets to/ from
> <URL:http://newgolddream.dyndns.info/>---a web site smearing New
> Labour opponents and purporting itself as having being written (and
> hyperlinked from other sites) by a concerned member of the public.
> The GLLUG post demonstrated that it was really hosted by our own
> resident New Labour press officer.

You have a bit of a problem with the truth, don't you?

The web site doesn't smear anybody, unless it is possible to accuse
Charles Kennedy of smearing himself - it consists of a few video clips
of Kennedy and Howard and Galloway as well as some video of Labour
broadcasts.

It wasn't designed to be "written" (there is very little text) to look
like it came from a "concerned member of the public" but as a way of
sharing video clips with colleagues - for that reason it was, for most
of the time, firewalled off from everyone not on certain networks. That
changed because people started using a wider range of networks.

By-and-large the reason links appeared on other websites because
somebody else gave out the links. But I'm not too fussed to be honest.
If I had wanted to keep the domain name a secret I would never have
posted it on GLLUG in the first place, would I?

And I don't work for the Labour Party anymore - I was on a fixed term
contract.

By the way, the most ridiculous part of the programme was when it was
said I was secretly hosting the website in the United States when it
was, in fact, sitting on an old Pentium 166 box in my living room. I got
at least 10 times more hits on site after the broadcast than before it,
so the real agency in the "smear" was Channel 4.

That's it. I found the original posts in bad taste which is why I
objected to them and I wouldn't have come back to this but for the fact
that people are not telling the truth about me.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk