[Gllug] Re: usb printing nightmare

Gary Pownall gary_pownall at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 24 18:01:48 UTC 2005

Many thanks for your help Colin.  Tried what you suggested and was able to
set up username and password for printmanager.  Unfortunately when I try to
configure cups through localhost:631 I still get a dialogue box asking for
username and password.

Despite inputting the new username and password, I still keep being asked
for username and password.

I am really getting pissed off with this now, it's not as if it's unique to
ubuntu either, when I plugged my usb printer (HP digital copier 410) into a
mandrake box, I still couldn't print with it.

The system is detecting the printer so I know that there's data traffic
being sent along the usb port, but when it comes to transmitting data, it
kind of gets 'blocked' mid-way through, or at least that's how it seems.

How can Linux purport itself to be a viable contender to windows when you
have to deal with all this CRAP!!! just to get it to something as
fundamental as printing?

Incidentally i never had all this trouble when I had my Epson color stylus
880 connected via the parellel port.  That worked 'out of the box' but this
is just driving me mad!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk