[Gllug] Re: usb printing nightmare

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Jul 24 18:26:46 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 18:01 +0000, Gary Pownall wrote:
> Many thanks for your help Colin.  Tried what you suggested and was able to
> set up username and password for printmanager.  Unfortunately when I try to
> configure cups through localhost:631 I still get a dialogue box asking for
> username and password.
>
> Despite inputting the new username and password, I still keep being asked
> for username and password.
>
> I am really getting pissed off with this now, it's not as if it's unique to
> ubuntu either, when I plugged my usb printer (HP digital copier 410) into a
> mandrake box, I still couldn't print with it.

Have you established that the HP Digital Copier 410 is Linux-compatible?
I had a look on HP's web site but could find no technical information
about it - just drivers for various flavours of Windows.  There isn't
even anything for MacOS (any flavour), which doesn't bode well.  If the
unit is a WinPrinter and HP doesn't provide documentation for it then
there's nothing anyone can do.  This is HP's fault - not Linux's.

On the business of being unable to get authorised for CUPS - have you
tried checking the logs to see there's any explanation there of what is
stopping you logging on?  I'm afraid that the most likely explanation is
that you haven't quite followed the instructions correctly (see "man
lppasswd") or you're not entering quite the same user id and password.

HTH
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk