[Gllug] rma rejected + the worst grammer +ever+

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Tue Jul 5 22:45:07 UTC 2005

Dylan wrote:
> Actually, restrictive (and non-restrictive) relative clauses in English
> are perfectly acceptable with or without the relativising subordinator.
> If you want to be pedantic, though, "which" is the (most) correct for
> an inanimate referent.

The last post I make on this thread, because it looks like it's going to
go Godwinwards.

I'm detest people who complain about the grammar, spelling and diction
of people who are not communicating in their native language.  I am
utterly ashamed that, as a race, the English tend to know exactly one
language and simply assume that speaking more loudly or more slowly is
an acceptable compromise.

I speak English poorly, I speak French abysmally, my German is
laughable, my Polish is side-splittingly inadequate, to say I speak
"restaurant Spanish" is an exercise in overextended semantics.

The fact someone manages to get their point across to you in their
non-native language is something to be celebrated, not something for
which you should pour copious amount of salt onto for every missing
syntactic sugar crystal.  They may or may not be wrong, the fact you
understood means their communication attempt was successful.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk