[Gllug] Re: usb printing nightmare

Colin Murphy Colin at spudulike.me.uk
Fri Jul 22 17:23:27 UTC 2005

On Friday 22 July 2005 16:00, Gary Pownall wrote:
> Hi Mark
>
> Tried what you suggested but Ubuntu disables configurnig cups through web
> interface.  It keeps asking for username and password.  Obviously I've
> tried root and root's password but to no avail.
>
> Many thanks for your efforts though, at least now I know about
> localhost:631.

To get round this you need to investigate the lppasswd. So, as root:-

linux:/ # lppasswd -a printermanager

and you'll be prompted to enter a password that you want to use for the user
'printermanager'.  The name of the user can be anything you want,
'printermanager' is just my example.

lppasswd needs to be used in Suse and I now see that it needs to be used in
Ubuntu.  Other distro's don't come with this handicap, or, at least, they
come configured to work without lppasswd somehow.  Can anyone tell me why
this is?

--
Colin Murphy - Colin at SpudULike.me.uk

A:Because it's wrong.