[Gllug] Police want new powers

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 22 22:43:21 UTC 2005

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 08:12:21PM +0100, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
>
>>SteveC wrote:
>>Was that a joke? The current lot are responsible for the RIP act?
>

> Well, yes the current administration is responsible for it (it is the
> RIP Act _2000_, after all).  However I suspect that our Dear Leader -
> apparently quite happy to proclaim himself as a technical know-nothing
> - was probably driven into it by lobbyists/advisors.

That's not an excuse - for the PM, it's simply dereliction of duty.

"The Labour Party further argues that attempts to control the use of
encryption technology are wrong in principle, unworkable in practice,
and damaging to the long-term economic value of the information
networks". (Labour Party Policy on Information Superhighway).

That was their line before they got in in 1997. The 180 degree about
turn they did after getting in was nothing short of treating the
electorate with total contempt. I fail to understand how anyone can hold
an iota of respect for a leadership which abandons stated principles so
readily.

This should not of course be taken as an endorsement of the other
parties - I did not agree with the Major government's take on this issue
either. At least they didn't treat us quite as contemptuously as the
current lot of crooks though.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk