[Gllug] Re: usb printing nightmare

Peter Childs bluedragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jul 22 08:15:14 UTC 2005

Mark Preston wrote:

> Hi Gary,
> If you are running Cups then start apache (if this is installed) -
> /etc/init.d/apache start should do it.
> Then fire up Mozilla and visit http://127.0.0.1:631 and you should be
> presented with a web-page through which you can start to administer
> your printer(s).
> Regards,
> Mark

    You don't need apache, Cups runs its own web server on port 631,
Just point any browser at the port. This is usally the best method to
configure cups anyway.
    Infact its not a web server but IPP (Internet Printing Protocol)
which from what I can work out is a protocol built on top of http to
support printing. I think its a standard that even some network printers
follow but I have not seen one as yet.
    Anyway its very useful and makes it quite easy to work out what your
printer is up to.

Peter Childs
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk