[Gllug] Re: usb printing nightmare

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Fri Jul 22 09:29:58 UTC 2005

Peter Childs wrote:
>    You don't need apache, Cups runs its own web server on port 631, Just
> point any browser at the port. This is usally the best method to
> configure cups anyway.

I've always found it OK. If the driver list is a bit short, you should
be able to get more from linuxprinting.org

>    Infact its not a web server but IPP (Internet Printing Protocol)
> which from what I can work out is a protocol built on top of http to
> support printing. I think its a standard that even some network printers
> follow but I have not seen one as yet.
>    Anyway its very useful and makes it quite easy to work out what your
> printer is up to.

I've always found the access-permissions part of the config file overly
confusing. The comments seem to have been improved in more recent ones,
but I remember it seeming a very long file when I first looked at it.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk