[Gllug] BBC Open Source

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Fri Jul 15 21:52:11 UTC 2005

Just thought I would add a thought to the BBC licence fee debate;
surely the issue of the licence fee simply comes down to that old chestnut -
the more ways you can screw 'tax' out of people,the lower the rate of mainstream
income tax you need then charge for the same overall revenue, and you can then
claim to have lowered people's tax burden ?!

That's why we have now have reduced-rate VAT on fuel, insurance premium tax,
no 20% ACT on dividends, the Dartford Crossing Toll (despite the promise to
remove it when paid for) .....

Mr Brown is the master of stealth tax.    So I guess the licence fee will stay
even though it might be administradively more sensible to scrap it !

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk