[Gllug] BBC Open Source

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 16 17:22:42 UTC 2005

On Fri 15 Jul, Peter Grandi wrote:

> [ ... ]
>
> simon> [1] "Cost of collection currently = 5.7% of licence fee income" from
> simon> http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debate/?id=2004-03-08.1230.3&u=2
>
> I reckon that 5.7% is obscene -- the vast majority of licencees
> just pay in, and a reasonable free for merely handling the
> register of licencees and the payments are way way lower than
> 5.7%, probably less than 1%, especially for the rather wholesale
> amounts involved.

   Sorry about the delay to reply, but I have just checked with a member of
staff. The BBC had to "privatise" both transmission and licence fee
collection, so they are being charged commercial rates by the contractors.
   Similar situations exist in other areas, with the result that management
often require more staff to duplicate the costing process and administer the
contractors than to do the job.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk