[Gllug] Long-term storage of digital photographs: OT

Liam Smit liam.smit at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 08:47:24 UTC 2005

> >> What would the team recommend as a medium for long-term archiving of
> >> digital photographs?  I would like to be able to go back at least 20
> >> years (like you can with shoe-boxes full of conventional photographs and
> >> negatives) and embarrass my children in front of their spice/children.
> >> Do CD-Rs and DVD-Rs have proven data life?
> >
> > Paper is probably the only thing with the track-record to do that,
>
> Not paper today - unless careful storage is made, the acid in the paper will
> destroy it.  (Amongst other things - woodworms, moths, water, etc.)

Modern books are switching back to non-acidic paper. I say back
because original paper wasn't acidic but the relatively modern wood
pulp paper process resulted in it being acidic. Apparently by changing
the process they can get raise its pH to be neutral or slightly
alkaline. Perhaps you can also get photo paper which is made in a
similar fashion.

cheers
Liam
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk