[Gllug] Decent, low-memory webmail?

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Wed Jul 20 23:19:19 UTC 2005

Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> On 20/7/2005, "Daniel P. Berrange" <dan at berrange.com> wrote:
>

>>Just a word of caution before setting up a SSH over HTTP tunnel - make
>>sure you know your companies IT security policy....
>

> This is getting a little circular...  My original request was for decent
> webmail, as I haven't yet found out who I need to bribe to get ssh
> access legitimately...  I'm not willing to tunnel without at least
> discussing it with the security dude.

I use Squirrelmail, but you may find Horde/IMP to be better.
Squirrelmail implements the IMAP protocol in PHP, whereas IMP requires
Horde, which in turn requires that your Apache be built with PHP and
IMAP support. I suspect the IMAP support provided by the c-client
library may well have a lower memory footprint than the PHP
implementation use by Squirrelmail. IMP is more of a pain to get working
though - you should be prepared to spend a while recompiling Apache to
get it right.

HTH,

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk