Dual core AMDs (was Re: [Gllug] Recording Ogg streams?)

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Wed Jul 13 16:35:15 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 16:33 +0100, Christian Smith wrote:

> I find it funny that with all the problems SUN has implementing SPARC
> register windows, Intel go ahead and also implement register windows!
> Maybe that's why Itanium clock speed hasn't scaled in line with the rest
> of the industry.
>
> Technically, they may provide the highest performance per CPU, but what
> about performance per watt? Performance per $? I'd say an Opteron probably
> beats it on both counts.

Truth being stranger than fiction, we have actually done these figures.

We did an exercise in costing in the cost of electricity over the
lifetime of a large cluster, which can be 25 to 30%,
so we have the performance/watt figures.
See page 12 onwards (*)

These were presented at the Daresbury Machine Evaluation Workshop
in December.
http://www.cse.clrc.ac.uk/disco/mew15-cd/Talks/Pearce_Streamline.pdf
http://www.cse.clrc.ac.uk/disco/mew15-cd/programme2004.html

(*) I will reveal what architectures the numbers are in return for beer.
I think there is a good reason why it isn't mentioned, but I think you
know what no 2 is already.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk