[Gllug] CD Writing

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 5 09:28:08 UTC 2005

Hello,
   I have been burning CD's for a while using a Sony 48/12/48 drive, which
is possibly a re-badged LiteOn drive. I have used various different blanks,
and generally found that a low write speed is best, which is what I had been
told in the past.
   A recent pack of TDK CD-R80 (light blue) blanks marked "up to 52x speed"
is giving read problems on older drives, and I am trying to decide what
could be wrong. They are medium priced blanks purchased as a pack of 100.

   Is the laser power normally pre-set while writing, or is it reduced when
the burn speed is reduced, so the disc may not be getting hot enough?

   Is the disc getting too hot and being over-cooked? Burn-proof is enabled,
but I think that is designed to cope with slow or intermittent data arriving
at the drive, rather than setting the write speed too low. Indications are
that the FIFO remains close to full.

   Or is it just time I cleaned or replaced the drive?

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk