[Gllug] CD Writing

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Tue Jul 5 09:35:12 UTC 2005

Re: problems with burning CD's

If you are able, my guess would be that a good first step is to clean the
laser lens.

Presumably if slightly dirty lenses can give problems reading discs they can
also cause discs to be burnt less than optimally.  Possibly the lasers get
'tired' with age ?

I know that when I burn DVD's/CD's using my NEC-3510 the log shows some sort of
burn calibration taking place, but no idea how this is done.  It would seem a
fair assumption that at slowers speeds the laser power reduces.  Presumably, on
that basis the laser power has to adjust as the head moves across the disc, as
the speed of the track generally increases the further out  the head goes (or
the drive has to adjust its rotational speed constantly).

If cleaning the lens does not work the simplest solution is probably to replace
the drive - they are getting cheaper all the time. I would definitely recommend
the NEC DVD drives  - the 'dangerous brothers' also have good firmware revisions
for the drives.

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk