[Gllug] Police want new powers

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Jul 22 13:29:43 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 02:19:14PM +0100, Aaron Trevena wrote:

> I sometimes get the feeling that the Home Office and Police force will
> keep on asking for more until they make communist east germany look
> like a bunch of liberal hippes.
>
> If they had bothered to implement even the most minimal of security on
> public transport and didn't cry wolf over the ricin plot it might be
> possible to take them seriously.
>
> But the intelligence services and the related branches of the police
> force are looking a complete bunch of amateurs. ID Cards, dismantling
> the justice system and other 'emergancy measures' are no substitute
> for hard work and actual intelligence (rather than dodgy dossiers and
> tall stories for daily express readers).
>
> I never saw a sniffer dog on the underground until now, or even a
> policeman. No random searches and spot checks, nothing but posters
> about being 'vigilent'.
>
> Worse still is that they are still imagining and rehearsing scenarios
> for non-existant chemical/biological/nuclear weapons when they can't
> even stop old fashioned explosives, and that they claimed that there
> was nobody in the UK who could do it just days before the first set of
> bombs.
>
> Hardly makes you think that 'these people need more power and the
> ability to detain people without charging or evidence' does it?

These powers won't do diddly squat to help combat this sort of thing,
the terrorists just go back to using pen, paper & 1st class stamps - any
''interesting'' stuff will just get lost in the huge volumes of ordinary
post.

In all of the hue & cry about wanting to stop the terrorists I have heard
nothing about the real reasons *why* they are doing it -- it is deeper
than us joining the illegal war in Iraq. Can anyone enlighten me as to
what al-quaida & friends are really all about ?

I suspect that if the 'west' acted a little more fairly on the world
stage then we wouldn't have 1/2 the problems that we do have.
[[ think: world trade, ...]]

--
Alain Williams
Parliament Hill Computers Ltd.