[Gllug] Data pots and optics

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jul 2 11:33:22 UTC 2005

On Saturday 02 Jul 2005 10:54, Chris Bell wrote:

>    I have not seen any indication that standard pots (sometimes known as
> plain old telephone system) is likely to be replaced entirely by fibre, and
> do not know what the true costs might be. BT can provide a fibre
> connection, but it is expensive at present. Is this because it is not the
> norm, or does fibre really cost more to install and maintain?

Initial installation costs are marginally higher than wire, but maintenance
costs are almost zero.   Long term costs to the fibre provider are very
significantly lower.

BT just want to make as much money as possible before they entirely lose their
monopoly.  The nature of the telecoms industry is changing so rapidly that BT
are getting left behind.  VoIP is really scaring all the phone companies!

Chris
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk