[Gllug] OT MP3 personal player

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Mon Jul 11 08:51:16 UTC 2005

On 9/7/2005, "Caparo" <caparo at saltmine.org.uk> wrote:

> I know you guys are into MP3's my daughter wants to buy one at 29.99 for a
>512Mb with FM radio.
> Is this a good buy ?

Not particularly a great buy.  The problem with these included-memory
players is that you can't expand on the amount of space you're given.
I mean 500 megs is probably enough for _most_ days, but what about if
you go on a week or two of holidays with some long journeys included?
You'll get sick of what you've got pretty quickly.

Better option, and about the same price, is this:
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=198740

You can buy some SD memory for it to bring it up to 500 megs.  Then you
can buy more if you need it!  I own one of these and it's pretty good.

One thing to note about the cheaper mp3 players: you don't get track
names and the ordering of tracks can be somewhat odd.  I've worked out
that the above one plays things in reverse modify date order.  Under
Windows, just copying folders containing albums to the drive copies them
in the right order and they play back in the right order.  For some
reason, Linux's cp -R copies them in (seemingly) random order.  So
you're better off going cp /blah/artist-album/* /media/sdcard/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk