[Gllug] Re: Dual core AMDs

Robert Newson ran at bullet3.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Jul 14 22:33:03 UTC 2005

Rich Walker wrote:

> Richard Huxton <dev at archonet.com> writes:
>

>>Richard Jones wrote:
>>
>>>Regarding Z80 "vs" 6502, I can't imagine anyone would actually want
>>>to program a 6502 after using a Z80 ...
>>>
>>Then you've clearly been out in the sun too long sir.
>>
>>The 6502 represents the pinnacle of CPU design, before this current slide into transistor-mad
>>decadence ;-)
>>
>>Three registers are enough for anyone.

Bit like the GEC4000 series processors: RA (32 bit), RX & RY (16 bit) index
registers generally used, plus a few extra (eg RB & RZ< and segmenting
registers).

> You mean "256 registers, one accumulator, two index offset registers, and
> the ability to use any adjacent pair of registers for indirect
> addressing" is enough for anyone, shurely?

In association with one of the index registers - I never did quite work out
a use for the (I,X) mode (mainly because all the 6502 machines I used, used
most of ZP for storing sysvars) and plugging a table in there wasn't too
practical.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk