[Gllug] Long-term storage of digital photographs

will will at willj.net
Tue Jul 19 10:46:50 UTC 2005

John Winters wrote:
> I have a steadily increasing collection of digital photographs on my
> hard disc, and I can see the time coming when I want to move some of
> them off to make space for other stuff.  Not so much due to a lack of
> disc space as a lack of backup capacity.  I have a 35G DLT drive, but
> even that will be too small within the foreseeable future.
>
> What would the team recommend as a medium for long-term archiving of
> digital photographs?  I would like to be able to go back at least 20
> years (like you can with shoe-boxes full of conventional photographs and
> negatives) and embarrass my children in front of their spice/children.
> Do CD-Rs and DVD-Rs have proven data life?

Personally I burn my entire collection onto a standard DVD and a
DVD-RW[0] (it still fits on one at the moment) once a month or so,
recycling the DVD-RW.  I figure that if my HD dies then the chances of a
month old DVD *and* the DVD-RW also being knackered are fairly slim.  If
however they are, I have the incremental backups on the standard DVDs to

Will.

[0] I effectively make two backups of my entire collection.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk