[Gllug] Graduates paying for IT training before employment

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Jun 1 13:17:48 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 02:08:04PM +0100, Steve Nelson wrote:

> > I reckon I must have spent a fortune on training myself through books
> > over the past ten years and buying/hiring equipment and software and
> > teaching myself to use it.  But I think it's been worth it.
>
> I think you raise a very intersting point.  For the cost of a
> 'professional course' one could set up a lab with some test kit and
> allow people to learn by doing.  This is especially valuable in an
> environment such as mine where most of the machines I admin are in a
> production environment and aren't really the sort of systems on which
> you can learn by trial and error.

Depends on what you are learning. Training is often best the intro stuff
where you don't really know what you are doing when trying to write your
first C/php/... programs or login to Linux and use vim/emacs for the first time.
Once you are past that stage then self study works.

I always assert that the most difficult program to write is 'hello world',
because by the time that you know how to do that you know how to: use
an editor, compile the program and run it. OK: slight exaggeration, but
the learning slope is steepest at the start.

--
Alain Williams
Parliament Hill Computers Ltd.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>