[Gllug] Graduates paying for IT training before employment

Richard richard_c at tpg.com.au
Wed Jun 1 13:19:47 UTC 2005

Steve Nelson wrote:

>I should clarify.  We don't do so many training courses.  The company
>does, however, encourage people to obtain professional certification
>in their areas of expertise.  This is, I think, less about the value
>of the qualification to the employer than it is about badges for the
>sales droids to show to their prospects.

My company does a lot of training courses, but only so that they can either:
a) give the sales droids something to flog.
b) assure their "technology partners" that some people are remotely
familiar with their product's particular mangling of common
practice/standards.

It is worth noting that "fitness for purpose" is only one of the
elements (and rather minor at that) that defines a "technology partner"
in a large consultancy.

Leave your ideals by the door, please. Yes, just by your hopes and
aspirations.

Richard
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk