[Gllug] Re: ADSL upload speeds

Sharon Kimble skimble04 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 21:09:01 UTC 2005

On Monday 27 Jun 2005 21:00, Craig Millar wrote:
> On 25/06/05 20:44 +0100, Jason Clifford wrote:
> > UKFSN can offer a 2Mb line for £19.99 / month which includes 30GB of
> > daytime (8am - 10pm) bandwidth and 300GB of evening and weekend bandwidth
> > and a single static IP address.
>
> I find this a very attractive offer, but am not sure if I exceed the
> bandwidth monthly. Anyone have any recommendations for measuring these
> things, both in and out, and preferably with the ability to graph the data
> so that I can work out how much I use during daytime and other times?

I'm currently using bmon to monitor my downloads which works okay until you
close down [be it power cut or whatever] and also using ./ifconfig from a
shell script via roots cron to write its output to a text file. The results
are then written down by hand once a day into a spreadsheet which then shows
me how close I'm getting to my 30gig max with tiscali.

It all seems rather long-winded but it works for me.

Sharon.
--
 22:03:44 up 8 days,  5:56,  1 user,  load average: 1.95, 2.70, 2.72
A taste of linux http://www.sharons.org.uk/taste/index.html
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk