[Gllug] Change Management tools

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.com
Wed Jun 8 11:53:40 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 12:38, Bruce Richardson wrote:

> That's not enough even for change tracking, let alone change management.
> Using a revision control system to track /etc, for example, allows
> sysadmins a) to check whether the machine they are working on is in a
> consitent, approved state, b) to roll back to a previous state if
> they've messed something up and c) having made successful changes, to
> check in the new consistent state, adding in comments to explain what
> has been done.  In a production environment, you might make the changes
> to a test system, check the changes in and then use the rcs tool to pull
> them down to the live servers.

I quite agree. But with the example of who installed what versions where
you need to tracking more than just the changes in /etc. I wasn't saying
you don't need to track changes in config I was saying you need to be
tracking changes in configuration and changes in app versions.

Huw

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk