[Gllug] o2, web, site, ....

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Jun 3 10:58:43 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 11:40:03AM +0100, Doug Winter wrote:
> Alain Williams wrote:
> >I tried their web site (o2.co.uk) -- it tells me that I need to update my
> >browser,
> >(I tried the latest mozilla & firefox). I 'phone customer services who ask
> >me to
> >email: my-care at o2.co.uk - this bounced, they confirm that it is correct.
>
> Their web site is a pile of poo, as is their useless customer service,
> but it's always worked ok for me in firefox before.  What are you doing
> to get the message?

Nothing odd that I can think of -- just enter the URL as I normally do.

It is:

	Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-GB; rv:1.7.8) Gecko/20050523 CentOS/1.0.4-1.4.1.centos4 Firefox/1.0.4

(Centos is a redhat enterprise clone).

The upgrade link takes me to the netscape web site which wants to upgrade me to netscape 8 (where I can't find
anything other than MS Windows downloads).

I know that the start of the above line is ''Mozilla/5.0'' and I suspect that their site simply looks at that.
Interpretting browser ID strings seems to be somewhat of a black art.

> Oh, and I think the email address you want is mycare at o2mail.co.uk.

Thanks ... I wish someone would tell their customer services that.

--
Alain Williams
Parliament Hill Computers Ltd.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>