[Gllug] spamassassin v bogofilter

Michael Moritz mimo at gn.apc.org
Wed Jun 1 20:44:22 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 01 June 2005 17:26, Tethys wrote:
> mimo writes:
> >A proper ISP -- like the one I am working for ;) -- should run
> > spamassassin for you... and also greylisting... and proper SMTP servers
> > ..and...
>
> You missed out one very important word in that -- "optionally".
> A proper ISP should provide you with unfiltered IP connectivity
> and nothing else. If ISPs want to offer additional services (spam
> filtering, web proxying, etc), then great. But don't make it
> mandatory for everyone. Some of us like to do things ourselves,

Yes, the optional is very important. I would estimate around 1% of our users
actually optet out of greylisting. Also, it's important to warn people before
you put it in place and collect greylisting data without any actual
greylisting taking place for a while.

> and my views on these things may well differ from my ISP's mass
> market driven policies...

The other pointis that ISPs couldnt afford to literally do nothing about spam.
The cost would be to high, not talking about the level of user complaints.

mimo
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk