[Gllug] How to tell grub where to find menu.lst

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sat Jun 11 09:25:43 UTC 2005

Grub's copious but practically useless documentation has defeated me
again.

I've restored a system using Mondo (actually, I'm trying to duplicate a
system onto a new HDD but that's not really relevant).  At the final
point Mondo said, "Failed to install grub boot loader" so I'm having to
do it manually.

I've got to the point where grub is installed in the MBR, but it always
boots to the grub command prompt and I have to type in the "root",
"kernel" and "initrd" bits manually.  /boot/grub/menu.lst exists, but
grub doesn't seem to know about it.

The instructions say to use grub-install but it fails every time,
apparently because the system doesn't have a floppy disc drive.  I use
the command:

    grub-install --no-floppy --root-directory=/boot /dev/hda

but it seems to ignore the "--no-floppy" bit and just sits in a loop,
trying and failing to access the non-existent fdd.  The system
continually logs errors accessing /dev/fd0.

I can get into the grub shell with:

    grub --no-floppy

and here the "--no-floppy" parameter seems to be honoured, but I can't
discover how to tell grub to remember where menu.lst is.

The really irritating thing is that I did find some instructions on how
to it the other day (not in the main Grub documentation) when I didn't
have access to the relevant machine.  Now I have access to the machine
again I can't find the instructions.

I'm sure it's very simple.  Could some kind soul enlighten me please?

TIA,
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk