[Gllug] How to tell grub where to find menu.lst

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sat Jun 11 10:38:44 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 10:25 +0100, John Winters wrote:

> I've got to the point where grub is installed in the MBR, but it always
> boots to the grub command prompt and I have to type in the "root",
> "kernel" and "initrd" bits manually.  /boot/grub/menu.lst exists, but
> grub doesn't seem to know about it.

<snip>

>     grub-install --no-floppy --root-directory=/boot /dev/hda

Grub will look for "boot/grub/menu.lst" relative to whatever you set the
grub root directory to. This defaults to /, but your command line above
will have grub looking for "/boot/boot/grub/menu.lst". The whole
situation is not really helped by the fact that grub uses its own
terminology for everything, often redefining terms you'd expect to mean
something different.

The grub-install command is just a shell script wrapper
around /sbin/grub, which copies necessary bits to the "boot" directory
underneath whatever you specified as the root directory. It's supposed
to pass the --no-floppy option through to the grub shell...

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk