[Gllug] ADSL upload speeds

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Wed Jun 8 14:16:50 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 03:17:13PM +0100, Henrik Morsing wrote:

> I'm still wondering why I can't get more than 256k upload speed on
> broadband lines. Where is the restriction? ISP? Wires?
> Am I the only one wanting a 1M upload speed?

You can get up to half a megabit quite easily. If you need a higher
upstream bandwidth then you should look into SDSL or leased line
solutions.

I believe that there may be technical restrictions on how much upstream
bandwidth can be allocated while still retaining sufficient bandwidth
for a voice call, but that's pure conjecture. I seem to recall that SDSL
doesn't leave the voice line free for calls.

I reckon that, largely, companies don't offer high-bandwidth upload on
ADSL services for 2 reasons:

1) most users don't need it or even have any use for it
2) offering 'domestic' priced services with enterprise-quality upstream
will severely impact the sales of higher-bandwidth services.

In short - they don't do it because you don't need it. And if you do,
they want you to buy a premium service.

Does that make sense?

/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk