[Gllug] Which is the best Wiki

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 19:29:58 UTC 2005

On 6/12/05, Adrian McMenamin <adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Thinking in terms of users ease of use and installers' programmatic
> power which is the best IYNSHO?

I really like twiki - easy to install, fast and slimline.  Moinmoin
seems featureful, but there's currently a bug in the debian package,
so I've not tried the recent versions.  The older versions had a
terrible default stylesheet, and were so ugly and clunky that I
actually disliked using them.

Depending on what you want to achive, and what sort of features you
need, there are lots of other options, varying in size and complexity
of setup.  You may want to consider if you want to have a relational
database back-end - many wikis support this, or just go for flatfile.

On a personal note - while I've never installed it myself, the two
best wikis I have ever seen (in terms of how they look) and used (in
terms of their interface, speed of use and feature set) were both
phpwiki + mysql.

I've actuallly helped write a very simple wiki in python which uses
sqlite as its backend - its still not really even alpha quality, but
I've used it at work, and it did ok.  In the next few months it may
reach beta level - we'll see.

Good luck. :-)

> I have installed php-wiki a few times now, but really like the look of
> this (Phython-based) one: http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/ (as used here
> for a nicer front end: http://www.linux-sh.org/cgi-bin/moin.cgi).

Indeed - the newer moinmoin looks excellent - and its written in
Python, so it must be good ;-)

> Adrian McMenamin <adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk>

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk