[Gllug] Recovering ISOs from a FUBARed HDD

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 17:46:53 UTC 2005

On 6/13/05, John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> wrote:

> Now my question - is there any way I could have done it if I hadn't had
> the USB device to hand?  Any way of getting those files over the network
> using either Knoppix or the Sarge installation CD?

Using netcat:

On a spare machine (we'll call this the server)

$ nc -v -w 30 -p 5600 l- > filename.recovered

On the workstation:

$ nc -v -w 2 192.168.1.10 5600 < filename

ie We setup a pipeline between client and server and then pipe data
from the client to the server.

NB use of the -w option (wait) helps with reliability.

If you're paranoid about security, there is an encrypted netcat
available, which is, I believe, just a binary, so you could just get
the binary using your knoppix distro, and use that.

> John

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk