[Gllug] Linux -> windows issues

Matthew Cooke mpcooke3 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 10 22:25:49 UTC 2005

Adrian McMenamin wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 17:04 +0100, Matthew Cooke wrote:
>

>>I'm getting desperate so I thought I'd see if anyone could help despite this
>>really being a windows issue.
>>I have jmDNS (a java multicast DNS implementation)  running as part of an
>>application I'm developing. In linux the multicast DNS works ok but I can't
>>seem to get it to work under Windows XP.
>>

>Do you mean this works if the server is on Linux but not if it is on XP?
>Or something else like it works for Linux clients but not XP clients?

The linux boxes and windows boxes are all on the same switch. MDNS is
being used for discovery and the linux machines all discover each other.
the windows machines neither discover each other OR the the linux
machines. The system is peer-to-peer so there is no client/server in the
traditional sense.

>>Using Ethereal I can see packets being sent to 224.0.0.251 but I never seem
>>to receive them on another windows XP machine. The windows firewalls are all
>>turned off.
>>

>And you can ping these boxes from the server? I know that is teaching
>you how to suck eggs and all, but you have to ask...

All the machines can ping each other yes. I don't have much experience
debugging multicast problems so I don't know if I can test the
224.0.0.251 multicasting in windows directly.

Matt.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk