[Gllug] [OT] Data Recovery companies

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Fri Jun 10 17:48:59 UTC 2005

Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 02:36:39PM +0100, Tethys wrote:
>>
>> Ashley Evans writes:
>>
>> >Google returns a myriad of companies.  Anybody with positive first hand
>> >experience ?
>>
>> Nope. Every time I've been in that situation, the owner of the data has
>> always decided that they'd rather lose it than pay for recovery. It's
>> *very* expensive.
>
> Does anyone have any figures on exactly how expensive?

I paid somewhere in the £400-£500 mark for hardware recovery to new
disk.

Later, I noticed the same company were offering to do software recovery
(i.e. "my filesystem is fscked" or "I deleted all the files") for c.a. £120.

> FWIW I spent last weekend recovering a 40GB FAT-format hard drive by
> hand for a friend who had somehow managed to (or Windoze had managed
> to) write data from another disk over the start.  FAT1 was completely
> lost.  About 30% of FAT2 was also lost.  I wrote a bunch of programs
> which used heuristics to locate directories, rebuild the tree (using
> the remains of the FAT where appropriate), and recover the files.

I remember having to do this to an Acorn h/d after I accidentally broke
the root directory. It was surprisingly entertaining, given the level of
sweat and fear in the room...

> I'm not going to charge my friend - although I have given him stern
> warnings about this being the once and only time and to buy a USB disk
> for backups.  But how much *would* that sort of work cost?  Maybe I
> should have a sideline ...

Someone I know had his mate-who-does-work in to do some work on the
computer. Said mate was supposed to add a drive and get the new drive to
work. He then broke one of the old drives, did the recovery, and charged
his hourly rate for the work...

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml