[Gllug] Connection reset by peer

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Thu Jun 16 14:32:16 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 02:50:36PM +0100, Tom Schutzer-Weissmann wrote:
> vnc and ssh are pretty much unusable for me, sessions keep breaking with
> the error "Connection reset by peer". It must be to do with my network
> setup, but'm having problems pinning it down.
>
> One computer connects to an ADSL router, and then acts as a gateway for
> another network, using NAT. The computer that's directly connected to
> the router doesn't have problems with ssh or vnc, but it's a headless
> relic and no use for vnc (which is most useful to me) - it's the
> computers that use the relic as a gateway that have problems.
>
> I've tried using ethereal to hunt down the problem, but don't really
> know what I'm looking for. Nothing jumped out at me (I was sort of
> hoping for a great big "connection reset by peer here")
>
> Any hints most gratefully received...
> Tom Weissmann

Hi
I'm not quite sure if you are connecting to machines across the ADSL
connection, but if you are that would be the first thing to check as
the line could be dropping and reconnecting a few seconds later.

Otherwise it could be a problem with lost packets. Some ADSL routers,
especially the black SpeedStream ones that BT supply on business lines,
have a habit of dropping packets under load or overheating.

Running flood ping or pinging over a long time to different hosts may
help track down the problem. If the packets aren't arriving then
ethereal probably won't see a problem.

| A. Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion |
| Q. Why is top posting bad ?                             |
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk