[Gllug] mysql binary logs

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 19:23:03 UTC 2005

On 6/13/05, Martin A. Brooks <martin at hinterlands.org> wrote:
> Alain Williams wrote:
> > The database itself works (queries/selects) -- I just can't get the logging to appear to do anything.
>
> A read only operation wouldn't need to write a log.

Well - not quite.  You might want to log SELECT statements and queries
for auditing, app profiling, gathering information for optimisation
etc.

The binary log doesn't log things which don't change the database,
since it is used for granular recovery and replication.

If you want to log all statements (for example, to identify a problem
query) you should use the general query log - see:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Query_log.html

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk