[Gllug] mysql binary logs

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Mon Jun 13 19:55:52 UTC 2005

Steve Nelson wrote:
>>A read only operation wouldn't need to write a log.
>

> Well - not quite.  You might want to log SELECT statements and queries
> for auditing, app profiling, gathering information for optimisation
> etc.

I meant "log" in the context of a transaction log.  i.e. a discreet set
of operations. This makes no sense in the context of a read-only operation.

I'm wondering if a select into a temporary table _would_ generate a log,
though. The table would represent the transactions view of the relevant
tables at the time and I have a sneaky suspicion that ACID-compliancy
would need that.

<fx>dons troll outfit</fx>

Of course, anyone needing to worry about such issues wouldn't be using
MySQL anyway. :)

Mart.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk