[Gllug] GnuCash vs KMyMoney

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 8 23:50:05 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 15:55 +0100, Mamading Ceesay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anybody here have experience of using GnuCash and/or KMyMoney for
> managing their personal finances?  I would appreciate informed
> commentary on their comparative merits and fitness for use by a UK
> taxpayer.

I've used GnuCash. It takes a little patience to set up, and it's a bit
slow on startup, but it's otherwise very good. You'd have no trouble
getting useful information for tax out of it, if you set it up
correctly. If you want full tax information though, you'll have to make
the effort to enter things gross, and set up the account tree so you
have splits for tax data. It's not hard, but you'll need to read the
help before setting it up, and be prepared to throw away your first
couple of attempts until you have a clear picture of how it works.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk