[Gllug] GnuCash vs KMyMoney

Mamading Ceesay mamading at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 12:42:36 UTC 2005

On 6/9/05, Mike Brodbelt <mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I've used GnuCash. It takes a little patience to set up, and it's a bit
> slow on startup, but it's otherwise very good. You'd have no trouble
> getting useful information for tax out of it, if you set it up
> correctly. If you want full tax information though, you'll have to make
> the effort to enter things gross, and set up the account tree so you
> have splits for tax data. It's not hard, but you'll need to read the
> help before setting it up, and be prepared to throw away your first
> couple of attempts until you have a clear picture of how it works.

Thanks Mike.  Your comments and those of Russell confirmed my
suspicions regarding GnuCash.  Sluggishness on older machines (like
mine), bit of a learning curve regarding configuration. That's the
trade-off for the rich functionality and flexibility it provides I
suppose.

Think I'll give it a look and check out the invoicing functionality
while I'm there.

--
Mamading Ceesay

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change
something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk